Monday, August 13, 2012

Surrender to the Light

Disclaimer: I am not a medical practitioner, I have never been professionally diagnosed as having Post traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, the following entry is my experience and is in NO WAY meant to serve as diagnosis or treatment of ANY mental disorder. If you have experienced any symptoms of  PTSD or any other mental illness please seek medical care from a trained professional. If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts call 911 immediately.


I call them panic attacks, I call them that because that it easier to say than Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) flashback. I do this for 2 main reasons; one, because not very many people know what a PTSD flashback is and two, describing them can sometimes set me off into one. So I’ll try to give you a good idea of what they are like without going into extreme details of what mine are like. Imagine your worst night mare. Now I don’t mean a figurative sense like, “oh, my worst nightmare would be falling into a pit of snakes.” Or “my worst nightmare is being chased down a dark ally.” No think of an actual nightmare you’ve had, one that you woke up from crying or too scared to go back to sleep or messed yourself. Yes that scary, so real you can still feel it with you when you wake up. Now imagine being trapped in that nightmare but to make it even more terrifying you know you are in a nightmare, you know that if you could just do something to wake yourself up you’d be ok. But no matter what you do you are trapped and everything you do just feeds into your terror, everything you do just makes you more convinced you are trapped in this nightmare forever.

That is what a PTSD flashback is like. It is in actuality nothing like a panic attack; in fact mine come complete with visual, auditory and sensory hallucinations. And I’ve had them since I was 16 years old. That was at least until I found yoga. 

A few years ago I went through a period when I was so connected to my yoga that I would have moments or spontaneous meditation. I’d be driving my car and see a hillside bathed in light or the way a shadow moved over the fields and i would have to pull over and let the image wash over me, it would fill me with joy and I would slip into a meditation where I could feel my heart expanding and bursting with contentment and peace. It was way cool! During this time I had an experience where I was in my house and I felt moved to go lay in my bed and meditate, so I did. It was like being wrapped in a blanket, all I could see around me was the color yellow. In color therapy yellow is sometimes connected with overcoming fears. I didn’t recall this at the time but when I came out of my meditation I knew in the pit of my being that I was cured of my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I would never be slave to flashbacks ever again.
I was right for almost 2 years. And then 10 days ago they came back. They came back quickly, out of the blue and forcefully. And they have eaten up any sense of security I have, they have stripped me bare of all confidence and self reliance. Since the day they came back I haven’t had a day when I didn’t feel them lingering on the back of my neck, like the cold hands of a serial killer just waiting for the right moment to tighten and maybe this time he won’t let go. So, exactly….

WHY THE HELL AM I WRITING ABOU THIS ON MY YOGA BLOG?!?!

Because I’m pretty certain that if it wasn’t for yoga I wouldn’t have made it through this week, at least without being hospitalized or on anti-psychotic medication! When it all started again I was riding back to town with a friend, we had gone to see a movie in Madison. Nothing strange or unusual not even a glass of wine with dinner, but on the drive home before we had even made it on to the highway I fell into a flashback. I knew it was happening but I was too scared to tell my friend what was going on so I closed my eyes and started breathing. It was the only thing I could do, surrender. In yoga it is called Ishvara Pranidhana, surrender to god. Maybe this is a very extreme interpretation of the practice but once I started slowing my breath down I just knew that what I had to do was surrender, ride this wave no matter where it took me. Once I stopped trying to fight my flashback I felt the tiniest pulse of peace somewhere deep inside me, deep in the base of my brain and from there I started chanting the Gayatri Mantra. 

Om bhur, bhuvah, svah
tat savitur varenyam
bhargo devasya dhimahi
dhiyo yo nah prachodayat

And that did it, the panic started to ebb away, the hallucinations started to fade back into reality and finally I let loose and cried. Crying means my adrenaline has crashed so it’s actually a good thing. My poor friend having no idea what he just witnessed asked if he should pull over, but I said no I just need to lay back for a while and I laid the passenger seat down and chanted silently in my head the rest of the way home.
I can’t describe the way it feels to be battling something like this, I just know that I don’t feel well, my body is exhausted from the rushes of adrenaline and pounding heart rates, I’m not sleeping to well because sometimes they happen in my dreams, and overall I just feel heartbroken. But that’s really all the mental story around it, those are just symptoms so there’s not much to be done. What I need to do is figure out why these are back and fight them off again, I have a sneaky suspicion why and an even sneakier way to combat it, but more on that long road later. Right now I have the best weapon I could imagine for the moments I really do feel like I’m trapped in hell. When my brain switches into a flashback and I can’t grasp onto anything real I can slow my breath and start the Gayarti Manta. I can, amid my nightmare be grateful for the light and know that the light will wake me up.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the practice of "feeding your demons"? Its a practice that is central to my spiritual/psychological journey, its been immensely helpful in learning how to surrender, nurture my darker side. I don't have PTSD or anything remotely as severe as this, but I felt compelled to offer this up. Deep bow to you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks you for sharing! i haven't heard of that practice but i will look into it.

      Delete