Sunday, July 8, 2012

Could It Be Honey


New banner, freshly painted ceiling and honey line.

I had to close my Studio, it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. It had repercussions that reverberated through my life and my tiny town. It hurt me, it hurt my friends but I had to do it. The stakes were too high that I could feel my old gypsy ways creeping back in telling me there are no such things as roots, just pull camp and go. But I didn’t want to, though it was (and sometimes still is) a tempting idea. So I did what I had to do to survive, I close the doors to Second Star Studio and I hermited up for a while, trying to figure out what the hell was going on in my life, what I could change, what I had to walk away from and more importantly really look at the places where I had made mistakes and figure out what there was to be learned.
It took two weeks before I was even able to walk back into the studio, to sit in silence there and beg the universe from some guiding light. And you know what, it never came. It never became because asking for answers isn’t practice, it isn’t yoga. Doing the work is yoga! So I decided while I figured all this out I might as well move forward on some much needed renovations to the space. And with a small army of volunteers that’s just what we did.

As it turns out I have some really deep roots in this community and more importantly some people have developed deep roots in their own yoga practice, they needed their yoga studio back and they needed their teacher. They needed me. So they and I got to work.

The biggest project we tackled was removing the drop ceiling that was in the space (go ahead, cringe, I did). Once it was out it was like the studio had a face lift, but instead of younger more inviting face we found a tired, smoke damaged, pealing face. We also found a line of holes drilled into the wall that were once used to blast insulation into the walls (though I doubt its lasting effectiveness) and were left with the question if to patch or not to patch until one of the volunteers said, “why don’t you just make a banner to cover it all and paint some sanskrit on it?” Brilliant! And I instantly knew what prayer should be there! 
This is my very first teaching notebook, this prayer has been inside the front cover for years and is the template for the sanksrit banner now in the studio.

And so it began the scraping, cleaning, and painting of 1,000 square feet of sooty ceiling and the cutting, priming, transferring, and painting of 50 feet of sanskrit. It was a long haul, amid other projects those 2 things took nearly 2 weeks on their own but they really do change the space entirely and create a warm and openness to the studio that there wasn’t before. Towards the end of the 2 weeks precisely as we were hanging the banner, piece by piece, something started oozing from the walls. An amber goo trickled down from the ceiling just as we were mounting a piece of the banner right on that spot. Me and the 2 volunteers who were in command of hanging the banner investigated the mystery goo. They touched it, smeared it between their fingers and smelled it but it had no distinguishing scent, so I took a finger tip full said a quick prayer that it wasn’t pesticide and tasted it. It was honey. It was weak and full of debris but it was honey and my next thought was, “please dear god don’t let me have a bee hive in the wall.” So out I went and on to the roof of the adjoining building to search for an entrance to a hive. Nothing. The mystery continued. Until the building owner stopped in.    
 
Like most of the country Wisconsin has been suffering a heat wave. Well it turns out that a few years back the building did in fact have a bee infestation. The bees had found a hole in the brick exterior and decided between the walls was a great place for a hive. The owner was unclear as to whether he poisoned the bees or just blocked up the hive entrance or what really, but what he didn’t do was tear the brick wall open and remove them. So after a week of over 100 degree weather what probably happened was that the wax combs holding the honey started to melt and the honey seeped out, finding a tiny hole in the studio ceiling where it meets the wall and started flowing. 

I’ve cleaned the honey line up a few times now but it’s still flowing. I guess like some things it just needs to run its course. Then I’ll wash up the line, touch up the paint and get back to running mine. Whatever course that is… of course. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great story, Amy! Good luck with your renewed inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. I don't know where this path will lead but as long as the walls keep dripping honey I think it may be right.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Amy, I cant think of any thing that has touched me in the way your last 2 post have. The wifes tale is that honey is gold, it is pure is it true and if honey has found a home with you it is because you are GOLD,PURE and TRUE...this is the universe talking and it is too loud to ingnore!

      Delete
    4. thanks you so much! i grew up with bees i love honey and to have it seeping through the walls kind of makes me feel at home. thanks again for your sweet words.

      Delete
    5. Sue, the Honey is still seeping. There must be lots of gold in there:)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry- I had too many typos on the earlier comment I left. Just wanted to say with a little play of words, that it is a worthwhile contemplative to see, know and Bee the best we can moment by moment. Love the blog, and I enjoyed the studio when I was in... Keep the practice; keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks David for reading the blog and especially for supporting the studio!

      Delete