Monday, February 6, 2012

Yoga Teacher Juggling Lesson

When teaching a yoga class your single pointed focus is, of course, the class; however the class is only the sum of many different parts. A yoga teacher must juggle many different variables to ensure her students have a good time on their mat. Here are a few things that I try to keep my eye on when teaching a class.

First: me. Who has ever had a day when they just didn’t want to go to work? Or felt just ill enough to consider calling in sick? Or had maybe a little too much fun the night before? I think we all have, being a yoga teacher is no different. No matter how much we love our jobs sometimes it’s just hard to get there. And like with many other jobs when you are a yoga teacher people depend on you and look to you as an example. You may feel like death warmed over but to your students you need to show none of it, you may be just not in your groove when that student (yes, you know which one, that one) walks in and you have to suck it up and make them welcome. Because really, you know it’s that student that needs yoga the most. And as much as yoga tells us that we should love our bodies no matter what you still have to help that body look like you belong in front of people. I’m not saying you have to buy $80 pairs of organic wicking cotton yoga pants (virtually all of my yoga clothes came from Goodwill) but you need to look like you didn’t just roll out of bed or worse out of the bar (by the way my studio is located right next door to the local bar). Just wear clothes that fit, especially if you do a lot of demonstrating in your class, brush your hair, and speaking of hair it is a personal pet peeve of mine when yoga teachers let their hair cover their face and shoulders while teaching. I for one connect with people by looking them in the eyes and if you want me to keep my arms plugged in show me what that looks like. Ok mini-rant over. And if you are a little sick or didn’t sleep well, it’s ok that that shows, but toss some cold water of you face before students get there or even a little, dare I say it, make up to soften the redness around the eyes. No matter how humble you are your students are going to look to you for and at you as an example you don’t have to meet those expectations but they’ll appreciate the effort.

Next: climate. Ok anyone who has been to my studio knows that it is climatologically challenged. Seriously! But I make it work, or at least keep it with the margin of forgivable error. And things that annoy the crap out of me like the sound of a the furnace blasting (yes blasting!) or the constant hum of an air conditioner, students will forgive because if they are too hot, they will lose energy on focus before class is over and if it’s to cold they will have to layer up to Nordic degrees to keep from shaking their asanas. Or worse their muscle won’t heat up properly which puts them at a great risk of injury. I worry about this but I try to keep an eye on my students’ body and layers and adjust accordingly. It’s not perfect but they stay comfortable.

Third: body language. This is as important as alignment in my opinion. Watching a group of students as a group rather than individuals, you’ll always have the yogi maven who plugs extra chaturangas and core work in just like you will always have a yogi who is 3 sun salutes in before hitting balasana. But if you notice that over all chaturangas are getting a little sloppy, or skipped all together or Navasana legs are slipping down then maybe the class is getting tired; and really how important is that third really cool arm balance you had planned. I’ve had classes were I demonstrated an arm balance and literally every student just sat there before doing something else or going right to child’s pose. Not fun for a teacher! So tone it down maybe or give them an extra few minutes in Savasana. On the other side of the coin if you notice students fidgeting in poses or a general glaze of bordem over their faces you may want to step up your game. One of the very first things I learned out there was to have a class plan you are completely prepared to scrap on the fly. You never know where the energy of the collective group will take you.

Lastly: music. I adore a well structured yoga mix! However not as many teachers take the John Cusack, High Fidelity, neurotic stance on building playlists as I do. Fine, to each his musical own. But let me just express (since this is my blogger and I’ll rant if want to-sung to…ok really you should get that reference) few things I feel all yoga teachers to take into acoustic account. The “random” button is unacceptable. I can no longer even count the times I’ve been in a yoga class where the energy was waning, starting either too cool down our practice or doing some inner awareness exercise when some crazy dance mix, or insane sitar leapt out of the speakers and poo pooed all over my groove. I for one am also a fan of mixing genres, I’ll throw a little Bob Marley, Sigur Rois, Lucinda Williams, or any other artist I like onto a mix but like with all yoga I do it mindfully. Using songs with lyrics is tricky, I’ve had students break down because a certain song came on, I myself have gritted my teeth though certain ones I’ve heard. So my advice is to stick to a theme and leave all “romantics” off. You can rock a “jammin’” flow with some reggae, and Caribbean sounds, or a blue grassy flow with some banjos and folksters. Or maybe even find some dare I say, uplifting songs by people you wouldn’t classify as yogis to spice up a mix. But keep it simple, keep it flowing and try as hard as you can to have the music match the pace and vibe of your class. If you should find yourself having technical difficulties try to keep music corrections covert or admit to your students you music has gone AWOL and practice in silence. Some people can ignore back ground music, I can’t, so what and how I rock my classes i take very seriously and I have had more than a handful of students ask me to burn them some of my playlist because they enjoy them so much.

So those are just a few of the things a teacher needs to keep in mind while here are as many as 20 sets of eyes upon her. We can’t nail all of them every time but a little effort goes a long way. And we find, just like in our practice, our very own teaching style and groove which morphs over time and circumstance. But again, just like in our practice sticking to the main principles of the discipline can lead to remarkable results.

2 comments:

  1. my goodness, you must be the perfect example of instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all, but I try my best to give my students a fun, safe and enjoyable environment to practice in. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete