Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What a Yogi Eats...

on Harvest Day.

Veggie Stir Fry

 
I love having a kitchen garden! I love food right out of the ground and this morning I harvested:


Carrots
Rainbow Chard
Swiss Kale
Green Beans
Paprika Peppers (ok just one pepper, but its early still)

Perfect for summer stir fry. Here's how I did it...

1st Get some water boiling for your rice, noodles or anything else you might like to serve your stir fry over, or if you are Paleo or Low Carb or just don't have anything you can eat the veggies on their own.

2nd toss a little oil in your skillet while it heats chop the Carrots into your desired shape, toss those into the heated skillet. Next, chop the Green Beans, toss them in. Next, slice the pepper and in with it.

Usually between the Beans and the Peppers the rice water is boiling, so add your rice, noodles, etc...Cover and get back to the veggies.

While those veggies are cooking, stem and chop your Kale and Chard. When the Carrots are just shy of soft toss in the greens.

CHEATER STEP (because I'm not good at Asian sauces), over the greens drizzle some of your favorite stir fry sauce. Instant flavor, no effort!

Optional Step: I like to pour about 1/4-1/2 a cup of water over the green and sauce before giving it a stir. I do this because it helps my greens to wilt and spreads the sauce more evenly, it also helps to soften the harder veggies if they aren't done all the way yet. I cook it back down so the sauce doesn't lose any umph.

Optional Step #2: Protein: Now I’m not a vegetarian but my Ayurvedic Consultant told me I should limit my meat intake, really I'm supposed to just eat chicken and fish but I'm terrible at cooking chicken in a skillet and I don't like fish in stir fry. So instead I used TVP, Textured Vegetable Protein, it has a great texture and no taste so you can season it however you want. It is a dehydrated product so I pour about 3/4 a cup into a bowl, sprinkle it with seasoning (for this I used a little turmeric and a 5 pepper blend) and let it sit, I do this before I even put the water on to boil, so by this point in the recipe it's fully rehydrated/marinated and ready to go. SO into the skillet with it!

Cook down till all the extra water is absorbed and serve over your rice, which should magically finish right when your veggies do.


I garnished mine with a few fresh cucumbers with dill which is very cooling for my Pitta digestion, just in case the sauce had too much spice in it, and sesame seeds which you don't see here because I forgot them. 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment