Monday, February 15, 2010

Compassion, really.

I decided to teach compassion as the theme for the month of February. The great thing about being a teacher is you learn so much. Of course you learn from books and other teachers in order to prep your classes and dharma talks. But even better you learn from your students. Whether it’s by seeing them have a realization and inspiring you or by having them challenge you. It’s the challenges that really drive home the practice of compassion. “Why do I have to explain myself to you, you’re not enlightened?” and neither am I. But sometimes I find myself apathetic to people who don’t “get it.” And that’s no good. I have to remind myself that we are all divine no matter if we have touched on that divinity yet or not. That’s what Namaste means in fact; my preferred translation is: the light in my bows to the light in you. Or the divine in me recognizes the divine in you. If we really believe in Namaste than compassion should be second nature. But that’s where the bigger problem is. I train myself to have compassion for others, I can breathe slow, keep my mouth shut, try earnestly to see things form someone else’s point of view. The harder challenge is having compassion for me. I am my harshest judge, “what on earth made me think I could teach yoga, did I really think I’d be able to meditate for hours a day?” Any frustration I’ve felt of other is no comparison to what I’ve felt in my own practice. But I’m learning. By respecting and accepting others for exactly who they are little pieces of that respect and acceptance bleed into me. We are all divine and we all deserve compassion.

If you want to be happy for others
Practice compassion
If you want to be happy yourself
Practice compassion
-Buddhist Teaching

No comments:

Post a Comment