Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Yoga Cravings

Some people have will power; I am not one of these people. If there is a tin of Christmas cookies on the counter, I will grab one every time I pass it, chips and salsa hardly make it past a day and oddly enough if there is cereal in the house I’ll eat it for nearly every snack and meal except dinner. I’ve just never been good at moderation, at the very least with food! Which is actually something I struggle with as part of a yogic path, being able to control my cravings and impulses. However lately there’s been one thing that I’ve been craving and happily surrendering to those cravings: asana! I am absolutely loving being on my mat lately. Throughout the day I will start to feel that familiar urge, but what is unfamiliar is that it’s not in my stomach, not a little beeping telegraph to snack on the yummy things in the fridge. It’s a different urge, one that I feel in my legs, my shoulders and chest, the same pull as a food craving but a much happier one. There’s almost a sense of satisfaction that accompanies the craving, and I attribute this to the tumultuous year I just had when getting on the mat felt like a chore I had to carry out if only to point out how hard the task was because I had neglected it for so long. So now that my body is wanting yoga there’s already a sense of accomplishment which I think makes it even easier to get on the mat and practice. And what practices are being had, no classes on cd or dvd, no yoga podcast, just me maybe some good tunes and whatever posture my body whispers a hankering for.

For me these “multi practices” have been very slow and introspective, some lasting only 20 minutes but they have all lead to 2 things: 1. New developments in my physical practice and 2. Really amazing meditations. My body is starting to do things I never thought it was capable of, things like a full pigeon or getting my right shoulder open enough to grasp my fingers behind my back in cow face pose. I’m so thankful for the extra range of motion and also for the awareness to notice more subtle changes to my practice; like the extra fraction of an inch lower in Hanuman (the splits) or just a hair deeper into a twist. As for the meditations, well that gratitude carries right over into the meditation; waves of gratitude seem to wash over me whenever I close my eyes and draw my awareness inward.

I have no idea why in the past week y practice has seemed to lift off, but the theory I’m going with is that since I’ve taken the “should” (as in, ‘I really should do yoga today’) out of practice and now am simply obeying the yoga urge that basically the pressure is off. I’m not looking for an outcome (as in ‘I should be able to do full pigeon by now!’) or looking to asana as a remedy for the funk I was in last year. I’ve just accepted my yoga as a real and substantial part of my daily life and am honoring it. So I choose to believe that by honoring my practice, my practice is rewarding me by sending up more urges and encouraging me to go deeper with each surrender. So I’ll probably never get and grip on my cravings and indulgences but the way I feel it, if I’m gonna go down I’m gonna go down dog in yogic style!

No comments:

Post a Comment